WiMAX technology is based on IEEE standard for high layer protocol such as TCP/IP, VoIP, and SIP etc. WiMAX network is offering air link interoperability and vendor for roaming. The multi vendor access from WiMAX focused on higher level networking specifications for fixed, mobile, and portable WiMAX. The Architecture of WiMAX technology based on all IP platforms. The packet technology of WiMAX needs no legacy circuit telephony. Therefore it reduces the overall cost during life cycle of WiMAX deployment. The main guide lines of WiMAX Architecture are as under.
- The WiMAX architecture support structure of packet switched. Wimax technology including IEEE 802.16 standard and its modification, suitable for IETF and Ethernet.
- Wimax architecture allowing decoupling and also sustained topologies for connectivity purpose like IEEE 802.16 radio specifics.
- WiMAX architecture offers flexibility to accommodate a wide range of deployment such as small to large scale. It offers licensed to unlicensed opportunity. WiMAX also support urban, rural radio propagation. The uses of mesh topologies make it more reliable. It is the best co existence of various models.
- Wimax architecture offers various services and applications such as multimedia, Voice, mandated dogmatic services as emergency and lawful interception.
- WiMAX architecture providing a variety of functions such as ASP, mobile telephony, interface with multi internetworking, media gateway, delivery of IP broadcasting such as MMS , SMS, WAP over IP.
- Wimax architecture supporting roaming and internetworking. It support wireless network such as 3GPP and 3GPP2.It support wired network as ADSL, MSO based on standard IETF protocols.
- Wimax architecture also support global roaming, consistent use of AAA for billing purposes, digital certificate, subscriber module, USIM, and RUIM.
- The range of Wimax architecture is fixed, portable, nomadic, simple mobility and fully mobility.
WiMAX Forum industry represents a logical representation of the WiMAX architecture. The main objective behind WiMAX architecture is to provide amalgamated support needed in a range of network models. The NRM makes out well-designed entities and allusion points accomplished between functional entities. The WiMAX architecture consists of three logical entities MS, ASN, and CSN and reference point for interconnection. All three correspond to a grouping for functional entities which may be single or distributed physical device over several physical devices may be an implementation choice. The manufacturer chooses any implementation according to its choice which is may be individual or combine. The NRM based on the designation of communication protocol and management of data sketch to attain end to end function. It allows manifold implementations for specified useful entity such as mobility and security management.
Base station (BS)
The responsibility of Base station (BS) is to provide that the air interface to the MS. The other functionality of BS is micro mobility supervision functions. The handoff prompting, supervision of radio resource, classification of traffic, DHCP, keys, session and multicast group management.
Access service network (ASN)
The ASN (Access Service Network) used to describe an expedient way to explain combination of functional entities and equivalent significance flows connected with the access services. The ASN offers a logical boundary for functional of nearby clients. The connectivity and aggregation services of WiMAX are personified by dissimilar vendors. Planning of functional to logical entities represented in NRM which may execute in unusual ways. The WiMAX forum allows different type of vendors implementation that is interceptive and well-matched for a broad variety of deployment necessities.
Connectivity Service Network (CSN)
Connectivity Service Network (CSN) is a set of functions related to network offering IP services for connectivity to WiMAX clients. A CSN may include network fundamentals such as AAA, server, routers, and user database and gateway devices that support validation for the devices, services and user. The Connectivity Service Network also handled different type of task such as management of IP addresses, support roaming between different NSPs, management of location, roaming, and mobility between ASNs
The WiMAX architecture is offering a flexible arrangement of functional entities when constructing the physical entities, Because AS may be molded into BTS, BSC, and an ASNGW, Which are equivalent to the GSM model of BSC, BTS and GPRS Support (SGSN).