Touch screens appliances are selling like a hot cake now –a – days because of its easy use and availability in various sizes. Any display device with touch screen feature sell as it comes in the market. Although people appreciate and enjoy this amazing new feature yet most of them don’t know about different types of touch screen. Different types of technologies are used in the formation of touch screen. As technology experiments are going on to derive the best devices ever so is the case with touch screen.
Different types of touch screens have different feature, characteristics and differences. These differences are resulted in different qualities of touch screen; some are long life others are sensitive while some others are economic.
Resistive Touch screen
This type of touch screen is made up of three sheets;
- protective layer
For making the touch screen conductive and resistive layer are place together with a space between. This space allows the current to pass through it when finger press the screen. This current receive the information is then processed into the desired action. The upper layer on the glass is protection layer so that it protects the screen from scratches in case of odd resistance.
Advantages of Resistive Touch Screen
- It has comparatively longer life.
- It is used in many different ways.
- It is a very common type of touch screen.
- It is cheap and so approachable.
- Due to their durability, they are widely used in commercial zone.
- Disadvantages of Resistive Touch Screen
- It emits less light as 75 % so fails to give sharp image.
- Its appearance is bulky.
Capacitive Touch screen
As the name describe the type of this touch screen. A thin capacitor or electronically charge sheet is placed on the glass. In response to the finger touch some of the charge from the capacitive layer shifts to the finger.
An interesting myth works over here for the functionality of touch screen. You know that capacitor works with electricity then what is the reason it responses to the human touch. Do you remember that electric shock is given to the human heart at the time of heart failure? This is because many electrons are moving in the human cells. When we touch the capacitive screen some of the charge from the screen travel towards the finger and on sheet it decreases. This reduction in charge sheet processes the application on touch screen.
Advantages of Capacitive Touch Screen
- It emits 90% of light ray to make screen clear.
- It has long life because of the resistivity
- Disadvantages of Capacitive Touch Screen
- They are sensitive only for the fingers touch no other object like stylus can be sensed.
Surface acoustic Wave Touch screen
This is the more advanced types of touch screen. They are fast and have sharp image. In this touch screen three sheets are used to perform the action;
- Sending transducer
- Receiving transducer
- Reflectors layer
Both transducers are used in making of screen and these transducers enable the screen to sense the outer touch and reflectors help in giving the proper response. This whole mechanism works through the wave transmission. When we touch the screen a wave produced and transfer from one transducer to the receiver where reflectors get the message. This wave travels back to the specific place and perform the action.
Advantages of surface acoustic wave touch screen
- Because of this wave mechanism versatile action can be done.
- Being no electric field created, it emits 100% light resultantly quality image received.
Disadvantages of surface acoustic wave touch screen
- They tend to have very short life.
- They are expensive so out of reach of a common man.
- They can be easily damaged