Standing in front of school monitor, you are a little bit frustrated. Reason, the file you bring in is not opening in this system because of not having the same version of the required software in both computers. Don’t worry; still you have the solution to access your data remotely. Here is a simple guide about how to remote access and by following this guide you will be surprised that it is very convenient. You need not to purchase a USB or copying of required data on CD / floppy.
Remote access comes in handy at that time if you have enabled the remote desktop access of your PC, You can do a magic presenting the data in the hour of need to your principal. This will help you by proving you to be an efficient and responsible worker. There are different ways of accessing your computer via remote access from a remote area.
Virtual is the right word to describe this phenomenon of remote access to desktop or computer. It means that a remote desktop is accessed virtually as you are not sitting at your computer table yet you are having remote access to all your system.
Important note: Windows home editions are lacking this desktop enable feature. A professional edition of Windows or improved version is required if you want to take benefit of this handy feature.
There are two ways you can remotely access your data while away from the home. These methods enable you remotely access your files at work place either your computer is not in front of you.
- One is the remote access to files only and it works basically through an internet connection.
- The other method is to remote access the desktop so you can control the whole system remotely.
Features of Remote Access
- Save you from extra expenditure of purchasing USB drive.
- No copying / Pasting on CD or floppy to carry the data with you.
- Accessibility to your computer like, you are sitting in front of it at home.
- Managing office work even if you are not in office.
- Useful for synchronization of file and its transfer.
Limitations of Remote Access
At the time of taking advantage of remote access to desktop don’t forget that you are going to face two important drawbacks and limitations as well.
- While away from your PC, trying virtual access to its system will delay the whole course. You may feel annoyance on waiting so long for completing the whole process.
- Security is another issue should be kept in view properly. If you leave the computer without turning off the session you would have to suffer.
Methods used for Remote Access
There are two commonly used methods on the base of most used models for remote access to desktop.
- Install VNC software in your operation system and enable the remote access to desktop feature. Run the VNC server and from menu chose the connection type whether socket or java viewers. It’s optional to enable the mouse and keyboard. You can disable this feature for avoiding any type of disturbance in the running session. For accessing the server from client PC you need to install client software and ask the IP address of the VCN server. On password prompt just enter the password and start your work.
Through this type of remote access you are not able to access the desktop and cannot transfer files from server to client PC. You can just copy the files from sever and paste it in your own word document.
- Windows’ desktop with professional edition could be accessed remotely by enabling Personal PC primarily. Open System Properties through my computer and allow remote assistance and remote desktop in Remote tab. Add remote users to allow them the access to the Home PC.
This is more convenient and user-friendly than VCN. You can share the files and even transfer the files from your PC to the PC where you are working. In short accessing the desktop means you are working really on your personal PC.